Zidisha invited to inaugural Global Accelerator at the United Nations

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Julia Kurnia, Jun 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

We were incredibly honored to receive an invitation to serve as a delegate representing the entrepreneur community at the inaugural Global Accelerator at the United Nations in New York.

The event brought together the founders of 100 of the most game-changing social enterprises from around the world, and eminent entrepreneurs such as Michael Dell, Arianna Huffington and Ashish Thakkar. The delegates worked with leading UN officials to accelerate solutions to accelerate achievement of the Millennium Development Goals: advancing youth employment, gender equality, clean water and more.

The UN officials were especially interested in the way Zidisha has created self-employment and job creation opportunities for young adults in developing countries by connecting them to the international person-to-person lending market. I had the opportunity to share our work with officials from the UN Development Program, the UN Secretary General’s Envoy on Youth, UNICEF, and the UN First Ladies’ Conference, and representatives from the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and Global Health Corps.

Being invited to such a select gathering soon after our graduation from Y Combinator, Silicon Valley’s top startup incubator, shows that Zidisha is gaining prominence not only in America’s tech startup community, but also among world leaders who are working to improve conditions in the most marginalized countries. It’s an incredible validation of what we have built, and everyone whose lending, transformation of loan capital into thriving businesses, volunteering, advice and financial support helped make our lending community what is today should be proud.

2. Patrick

Patrick Forum Member Volunteer Mentor

That is great news to the zidisha fraternity and so to speak when you look at the design and simplicity of zidisha you cannot fail to recognise the fact that there are great minds behind it.
    Recently I had an opportunity to meet zidisha intern called Theresa at Turbo and she has been in Kenya going all over the country meeting VMs and that model is quite good.
    Now,so to speak zidisha is improving life in developing countries where borrowers who had no chance of accessing credit facillities because of colataral and high intrest rates are now getting loans just at the click of a button and now they are able to start and run small bussiness and improve their living standards and fend for their famillies.
    Last but not least you will all agree with me that zidisha is a great thing in the life of the common man,for that Julia deserves a NOBEL PEACE PRIZE if you agree like this post and comment.lets go

John Macharia, ginah, Hedwich and 3 others like this.
  3. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

@Patrick About a year ago I saw another borrower, who was in Kenya, also say that Julia deserves a Nobel Peace Prize.

jmbogo likes this.
  4. Bayle C

Bayle C Gold Member Zidisha Volunteer

What a wonderful honor!

5. Ndungu

Ndungu Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

A great opportunity to make Zidisha more known by the big players like Michael Dell and co.

6. Joseph Gatiba

Joseph Gatiba Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

Thats very great ,Patrick well said she surely deserve it.

7. Wiredfox

Wiredfox Gold Member

It's great that Zidisha is attracting this sort of attention. Congratulations. But let's not forget all the hard work day to day done by the VMs and in-country interns to keep things moving forward...

8. Patrick

Patrick Forum Member Volunteer Mentor

@EVERLYN@JOSEPH
    It is very true she deserves it,I have seen microfinance institutions and banks auctioning peoples property and that makes it worse because the loan never improved the life of the borrower and instead brought distress and sufferring making it difficult for borrowers to carry on with their normal way of life.
    One good side of zidisha is its humatarian side,it has a human face where borrowers and lenders try to understand each other as much as possible and try to use the tools available to make sure that an agreement has been reached.

ginah and Evelyn like this.
  9. Shehi

Shehi Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

Go go Zidisha.... #someone_tell_the_world_about_zidisha !

ginah and Evelyn like this.
  10. ginah

ginah Gold Member

congarts julia and the entire team for the good work.zidisha will go places and we will be hear to cheer you on.i recently became a volunteer mentor and am beginning to enjoy the process.regards reginah

Evelyn likes this.
  11. John Macharia

John Macharia Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

That sound fantastic and great achievement .FOR REAL It’s an incredible validation of what we have built, and everyone whose lending, transformation of loan capital into thriving businesses, volunteering, advice and financial support helped make our lending community what is today should be proud.
    regards
    john

Evelyn and Wiredfox like this.
  12. Wiredfox

Wiredfox Gold Member

Still a lot of work to do...

Evelyn likes this.
  13. jmbogo

jmbogo Forum Member

she
    Evelyn, she truly deserves, it is hard to believe that all she wanted when starting this organization was to connect with people she never met and still serve a self responsibility of borrowing and paying loans based on TRUST. I give you thumbs up Julia Kurnia, it takes big faith for such a vision.

Evelyn likes this.
  14. rotich lawi

rotich lawi Volunteer Mentor

proud to be associated with Zidisha. It really is a savior to the youth especially here in Kenya.

Evelyn likes this.
  15. Mamadou Y. Gueye

Mamadou Y. Gueye Forum Member

Well deserved :)

Evelyn likes this.
  16. Julius Osoi Randa

Julius Osoi Randa Forum Member

I am absolutely blessed to be a member of zidisha.My life has been changed fundamentally by Zidisha.I will forever remain gratefull to Zidisha.I would like to nominate the entire zidisha team for the CNN heroes award this year 2014 because they richly deserve it.Thanks zidisha team.

John Macharia likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.