Zidisha Expands into Ghana

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Julia Kurnia, Dec 16, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

Dear all,

I'm glad to announce that we are now offering lending services in Ghana, thanks to the hard work of Ghana Country Expansion Coordinator Roberta Zenere, and the generous help of Cornelius Nartey, President of the Association of African Entrepreneurs and now a Zidisha member and Volunteer Mentor.

You may read more about their work in our blog posts:

http://p2p-microlending-blog.zidisha.org/2013/12/16/introducing-our-first-member-in-ghana/

http://p2p-microlending-blog.zidisha.org/2013/12/16/the-key-to-success/

Best,

Julia

KirstenShute, Shehi and Bayle C like this.
  2. Analin Saturria McGregor

Analin Saturria McGregor Country Liaison Manager, Zidisha

Woohoo! Country #8!

KirstenShute likes this.
  3. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

Congratulations on adding another country!

I was excited to see it was Ghana, because I know a few people that are first- or second-generation immigrants from Ghana to Montreal. The father of two friends of mine, for example, is a singer/drummer who records highlife music (it's an upbeat East African style a bit like reggae) - you can hear some at http://canadianworldmusic.com/view-artist.html?artistid=189

Anyway, from your blog post it seems that Roberta Zenere and Cornelius Nartey had some hurdles to overcome, so I'm glad they persevered and succeeded. I wish Mr. Nartey all the best as a new borrower!

Roberta Zenere likes this.
  4. Sverre

Sverre Forum Member

is zidisha in all mpesa countries now? if not,it could be a good idea to expand to those countries.

5. Roberta Zenere

Roberta Zenere Forum Member

Hello Sverre,
    MPESA is not in Ghana, but in this country we are using a similar mechanism with MTN Mobile Money. I think that this mechanism to transfer funds, cost-efficient and user-friendly, is ideal for Zidisha and its borrowers.
    Thanks,
    Roberta

KirstenShute likes this.
  6. Sverre

Sverre Forum Member

KirstenShute likes this.
  7. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

@Julia Kurnia @Roberta Zenere It is exciting to see this new ICT training center in Ghana. George Bonsu posted a lot of photos today from what looks like a dedication for the new "ZIDISHA YOUTH EMPOWERMENT & ICT FOUNDATION"

Congratulations Roberta. It must be rewarding to see what is coming from all the hard work you did to get Zidisha off the ground in Ghana.

Evelyn

Bayle C and KirstenShute like this.
  8. Roberta Zenere

Roberta Zenere Forum Member

Thank you Evelyn for your message.

All the merit here is for George Bonsu. He was the first Borrower in Kumasi and he immediatelt accepted to become a VM in that area. He engaged many members of his community who became borrowers as well. He is a very committed VM and we exchange updates every 2 or 3 days.
    I am located a bit far from Kumasi, but I plan to travel there in March to meet George, the Zidisha community and see what is going on in the ICT training center.

Best,

Roberta

KirstenShute likes this.
  9. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

@Roberta Zenere

You're welcome. It is very interesting to read about the work he is doing. I hope I'll stumble across any updates you post on his page. This is an excellent example of why it would be nice to have a "follow" button on a borrower page. Now that I've found him I'd like to see his updates and be notified when he posts a new loan. Because I'm not a lender on his loan there is no way for me to ask to be notified by email when he has news.

I hope you have a safe and fun journey in March,
    Evelyn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.