Translator's Talk

Discussion in 'Open Forum' started by K M, Aug 8, 2013.

1. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

@KirstenShute Hi Kirsten, Not a problem! I have trouble myself keeping up with replies on the forum. Thanks so much for writing and giving me the additional info. I'm happy to know I shouldn't worry about the credit part of the translation. Thanks also for these public links for translating! I did not realize something like this was available to unofficial translators who are not able to access the email account.

KirstenShute likes this.
  2. CMK71

CMK71 Gold Member

Hello all,

I've been doing unofficial translations for a few weeks and finally realized I should sign up officially. I think this is a great platform, and very easy to use.

Christy Kotowski (CMK71)

KirstenShute likes this.
  3. Morgan Victor Elorm

Morgan Victor Elorm Forum Member

4. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

Hello Christy,

I've seen your username on translations, and when I checked the email messages today I saw that Denise had sent you the "how-to-start" email. Thanks so much for your help!

Kirsten

5. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

With the new website design, there's also a new translation feed: https://www.zidisha.org/translation-feed. Denise sent an email to all our listed translation volunteers (thank you!) but in case anyone checks out the forum first, here it is.

You can use it if you're logged in to your Zidisha profile. It works like the old one, with the added feature of separating loan profiles and comments - to switch between the two, use the tab at the top. In the loans section, only the taglines will appear, but don't worry! If you click on the link underneath, it will take you to the loan needing translation.

If you have any questions, feel free to post them here, and thank you everyone for your help.

6. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

Thanks to @jonas and Hardik for building this page for us! The translation feed page is pretty self-explanatory, but for anyone who would like step-by-step instructions, I've added them here: https://sites.google.com/a/zidisha....-guide/translating-loan-profiles-and-comments

7. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

Hello all French-English translators,

There are a lot of recent loan applications from Burkina Faso right now and we need your help to translate them! Denise sent out an email to everyone on our translator's list yesterday, so thank you to those of you who responded.

In general, I find it helps to set aside some time one or two days of the week to translate. Sometimes there are a lot of new French comments/loans, sometimes only a few, so it helps to check in every week. Just as a reminder, you can see the latest applications here: https://www.zidisha.org/translation-feed

8. Karijn

Karijn Forum Member

Is my help welcome even if I have only high school level French?
    I don't know how many translators you have available, but I see many untranslated loan proposals in which case I think even my less pretty translation will be better than nothing. But I don't want to do that is it messes with the work of far more capable translators.
    I put one proposal that was near expiring through google translate and afterwards polished it up to the best of my abilities. I hate the idea of somebody not getting a lone solely for being Francolingual.

Monicah A.Ofwona likes this.
  9. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

Hello Karijn,
    Definitely! Your help is appreciated. A few regulars are busy with the holidays, so whenever you have the chance and would like to volunteer, please do so.

Also, don't worry about small mistakes, since they can always be edited. It used to be that each profile would say "translated by [username of whoever made the last translation/edit]" but this feature is no longer there. I find it an improvement, since people don't have to worry about taking credit for other people's work.

10. Laurie

Laurie Liaison: Anglophone+Francophone Countries Zidisha Volunteer

"Google Translate" has not improved much, if at all, since that post was written back in September 2013. :(

11. Ankomah Gabriel

Ankomah Gabriel Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

Okay

12. Laurie

Not even for very basic things, sometimes. For example, "Zut alor" means "Darn it" (not "Heck so" as "Google Translate" translates it :rolleyes:). Digital translators likely never will be able to replace human beings, fully, for that task.

13. Laurie

*Zut alors - (typo up above, sorry) - and, well, "Zut alors!" :oops: LOL.