Temporary suspension of comment credits

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Julia Kurnia, Sep 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

Dear all,

As of today, we are pausing the award of bonus loan size increases to borrowers for posting comments.

The reason is that too many of the credits are being awarded for excessive comment posting, which happens as a result of unintended multiple postings due to the slow load time of our website in borrowers' countries. As currently designed, the award of a loan size increase for each comment posted also creates an incentive to game the system by posting multiple comments in a single session.

We intend to reintroduce the comment posting bonus once we have modified it to limit the number of bonuses that may be earned within a given time period. This should allow us to better align the design with the original intent of the comment bonus: to allocate modestly larger credit limits to the borrowers who are regularly engaging in meaningful dialogue with our community.

Best,

Julia

Frankmgos, Bayle C, Evelyn and 4 others like this.
  2. fcjapan

fcjapan Forum Member

+1
    Thank you for promptly addressing what had become almost a bad joke.
    +1

3. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

Thank you. It sounds like a good modification and I hope it can get set up soon.

4. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

Thank you for suspending this program.

Although a noble idea, unfortunately it has not worked in the way intended.

I think that if it is to be reintroduced, some things need to be seriously considered.

First question for Julia/Zidisha staff: How will you get the word out to borrowers that the comment program has been suspended so that the comment problems stop?

I see two overall comment problems – (one) is multiple posting of the exact same comment and (two) is the content of the comment, when they are not written by the borrower, but are obviously copied off of other websites.

1. If I, as a lender, post a comment and it appears more than once, I will delete the extras. I also refrain from clicking multiple times and wait for the comment on the borrower's page to upload so that it only appears once.

Yes, with some borrowers it might be happening by accident, but now there is no incentive to delete the extra uploaded comments.

I’m sure that in some cases word has spread that they will be rewarded by not only leaving them on their profile page, but by clicking multiple times on purpose during the uploading time period.

2. As a lender, I want to see the borrower post a comment in their own words about their lives or businesses or community. I’d rather have someone not post anything at all, than copy and paste information off of other websites.

Second question for Julia/Zidisha staff: If you do plan to reintroduce this program, how do you plan to monitor that the comments made were authentic and not just copied off of other websites and/or duplicates? It seems to me that some kind of manual review of the borrower's page would be necessary at the time of the next application.

KirstenShute likes this.
  5. Charlie

Charlie Forum Member

Simply counting posts, even with a time filter, really says nothing about the quality of those posts, e.g., comments about the borrower, not arbitrary copying from the web. I really don't see how this incentive will be meaningful without human moderation. If staffing the process becomes challenging, you always could ask for lender moderators.

Kjartan, KirstenShute and Evelyn like this.
  6. KirstenShute

KirstenShute Gold Member

This makes sense, but I'm not sure the extra monitoring effort would be worth it, except for deleting multiple posts. If they do copy-paste (from themselves or from elsewhere on the web) the lenders will see they are not interacting "meaningfully" and can report this in the comments at the end of the loan. To me, the repayment is more important. Zidisha is primarily a peer-to-peer microloan service, not a social network.

Then again, I do like to read the comments and find out how the borrowers are doing. Interacting with borrowers also makes them more likely to repay, or explain why they're having problems doing so (as mewesten wrote elsewhere). I'm just not sure extra monitoring would be worth it...?

7. Frankmgos

Frankmgos Forum Member

Hi Julia,
    That's is good thoughts. Hoping it will work to the borrowers.

8. Kasamba

Kasamba Forum Member Volunteer Mentor

Dear,
    I do support the idea, many borrowers had started abusing the program.
    regards
    martin

mewesten likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.