Our new homepage design

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Julia Kurnia, Feb 17, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

Our homepage has a new look: large images, minimal menu options and scrolling infographics that help visitors take in what our community is all about. The new design uses the latest responsive website design framework to facilitate viewing on a variety of browsers and devices.

Before:

[​IMG]

After:

[​IMG]

We have so many inspiring entrepreneur stories that it was incredibly difficult to choose a cover image for our new homepage. We finally settled on this photo of Pherister Ndoge, one of our earliest members, who left a comfortable teaching job to bootstrap a school for disadvantaged kids in Kenya. She used a small Zidisha loan to add more classrooms, resulting in access to education for many more children. (You may check out her full story here.)

We thought this photo of Ms. Ndoge’s school and students is a fitting representation of what we have achieved, where we are headed – and of the many lives that can be transformed by connecting people across previously insurmountable geographic barriers in an online community.

Thanks to Kevin Hale, a Y Combinator partner and cofounder of Wufoo renowned for his web design expertise, for helping us choose and transition to the new homepage design.

We will be transitioning the remaining pages of our website to the new design over the next month. In the meantime, please use this thread to report any technical problems with the new design pages.

2. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

I am a lender on Pherister Ndoge's current loan. Hers is a wonderful story. It makes me feel happy to see her with all the children wearing their balloons on the home page. Thanks also for the link to her full story. I had not seen the video of the children before.

3. Julia Kurnia

Hi Evelyn, I also visited Ms. Ndoge's school while in Kenya last year. She has done amazing things, changing the trajectories of many lives with only inspiration, hard work and a small loan from lenders like you.

KirstenShute, Evelyn and eric like this.
  4. Evelyn

Evelyn Forum Member

Hi Julia, That's so wonderful to hear! - Evelyn

5. qt9998

qt9998 Gold Member

Quick fix - if clicking on right arrow this appears with the new picture

LEND MELITA $100 FOR A DIARY COW

6. Shehi

Shehi Gold Member Volunteer Mentor

@julia the 'Join' link does not work. When will it be restored? Thanks

7. Shehi

thanks it has now been repaired.

8. Shehi

@Bayle C @Julia Kurnia How do i find my way back to my account menu items like 'Welcome Page', 'My invited members' from my loan profile. Currently, I've to log out of my account and log back in OR type the web address.

9. Julia Kurnia

Mr. Shehi,

I've just modified the header to display the link "Welcome Page" when logged into a borrower account to facilitate navigation. Thanks for taking the time to help us improve our website design.

Best,

Julia

Shehi likes this.
  10. Shehi

@Julia Kurnia Am good with browsers but i raised the issue for members I mentor that have had it rough lately. Thanks again for your swift intervention to assist. Also, when you find time, correct that someone can link back to a member's profile from that member's comment. Such links by yesterday were all leading to the homepage.

11. Armeij

Armeij Forum Member

The full picture looks good but some critique.

It's to dominating, if i browse to the main page i do see the picture and the last line "P2P lending across the international wealth divide",
    but it doesn't invite to scroll down to the additional information, because the only indication there is more is the side scroll bar.

Also a more prominent donate button for the casual visitor to click would be a good idea, i do think that some people visit the site after
    looking for crowdfunding or charity information and don't want to be a lender but would like to donate.

Disclaimer : ofcourse it could be just me needing new glasses :)

KirstenShute and Shehi like this.
  12. qt9998

qt9998 Gold Member

If I'm a prospect and I see this, I'm thinking this site must be crawling with bugs.

LEND MELITA $100 FOR A DIARY COW

13. Mien

Mien Gold Member

Hi Julia,
    I love the new design but for the borrowers/candidates in the French speaking countries it's difficult now to see that the website is in French as well. Could we put the language feature on the home page again?
    Thanks!
    Mien

ps; apparently the invite messages (by sms) are still/again being sent in English to borrowers in French speaking countries

14. Julia Kurnia

Hi Mien,

Thank you for letting me know. The language may still be changed from the upper right corner of pages other than the homepage. That said, is the site no longer automatically displaying in French when viewed from Burkina Faso?

Correction of the messaging language is definitely on our to-do list. Thanks for the reminder.

Best,

Julia

15. Mien

Mien Gold Member

Hi Julia,
    Thanks! And yes, I know that the language can still be changed from the other pages, but the thing is that when people first visit the website the only things they see are in English and you need to know that you should click on one of the menu titles to be able to change the language/see the website in another language, which is difficult if you don't understand any of the words on the homepage. I had a few new candidates already who told me that they can't do anything with the website because it is in English... A solution would be to have another homepage, in French, that would be loaded automatically in the French speaking countries. Alternatively we could a message in French on the homepage, asking people to click through if they want to access the information in French.
    Best,
    Mien

Wiredfox and Shehi like this.
  16. Wiredfox

Wiredfox Gold Member

Oui, c'est normale, ca.

KirstenShute likes this.
  17. Shehi

@Bayle C My Assigned Member Profiles' page https://www.zidisha.org/index.php?p=8 does not render/work. I cannot view my assigned mentees' . I want to re-assign some far members to other VMs so just I streamline follow up on them. Other VMs should also re-assign members who are near me to my profile. Thanks

18. Julia Kurnia

Mr. Shehi, thanks for reporting this. We'll repair it as soon as possible.

Shehi likes this.
  19. Shehi

Hi everyone,
    what do i have to do to receive email notifications from disqus exchanges? Must i follow that particular member? I shared a conversation with @qt9998 on a loan profile but only realised his responses later by accident. Thank you.

20. jonas

jonas Web Developer, Zidisha

It should be repaired now, let me know if it still isn't working properly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.