Google now provides instant English translation of loan profiles and comments

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Julia Kurnia, Jun 28, 2015.

1. Julia Kurnia

Julia Kurnia Director, Zidisha Zidisha Staff

Thanks to an in-kind grant from Google, we've begun using the Google Translate service to display an instant automated translation of non-English loan profiles and comments.

The intent is to make it easy to get the gist of an entrepreneur's story and loan project until a full human translation can be added. Instead of writing out translations from scratch, our translation volunteers can spend their valuable time improving the automated translations for accuracy and readability.

As always, the original language words can be viewed by clicking the "View original" link. All signed-in lenders and borrowers are able to edit the existing automated or human translations using the "Edit translation" link under each entrepreneur story and comment.

We encourage anyone with some knowledge of French or Indonesian to take a moment to improve the loan profile and comment translations you come across - giving a helping hand to our hard-working translation volunteer team, and making it that much easier for the entrepreneurs to communicate their story to the world.

2. Laurie

Laurie Liaison: Anglophone+Francophone Countries Zidisha Volunteer

Yes, definitely human translators are MUCH better, lol. (But, still, it will be a help, of course!)
    Will do (and still will do some from-scratch French-to-English translations, too), time permitting.
    Sorry have been such a stranger lately! Hope to be back a lot more in the not-too-distant future, though!! :)

3. Bernard Oxford Commey

Bernard Oxford Commey Forum Member

This is a great idea and I think will help a lot

4. Laurie

Laurie Liaison: Anglophone+Francophone Countries Zidisha Volunteer

From time to time, I promote Zidisha on my Facebook wall. I'm currently trying to recruit more translation volunteers, since there's such a lot of translation work to do: https://www.facebook.com/Laurie30131/posts/1420458694950262

Definitely almost any translations done by a machine do need to be reviewed by a human with the requisite language skills. :rolleyes:

julidaze likes this.
  5. Boniface

Boniface Afrikan

@Laurie I was just chatting with a friend from Indonesia and i guess one has to be able to use proper grammar in order for translations to be done correctly,otherwise i ran into complicated problems with wrongly translated words.

Laurie and ani like this.
  6. ani

ani Silver Member

Saya Sangat Senang DENGAN HAL Sangat membantu Kami
    Terima kasih zidisha:)

7. Novadela

Novadela Silver Member

Hello Zidisha big familly!!
    Im from Indonesia. Is there anything i can help?